- It is preferable to have the doors of constant use placed so that the traffic between them will not interfere with the furniture groups.
- It is ideal if the door to the dining room is placed in a corner and the door leading out of the dining room to other spaces, is placed directly opposite in the other corner of the room, so as to enable the dining table and other furniture to be placed in the remaining portion of the room.
- Windows should be big to allow light to the dining room.
- There should be convenient access to the windows and doors, and furniture should not block the windows.
- The TV position should be fixed such that it is not opposite a window, as the TV screen will reflect the light from the window.
- Four persons (seats on 2 sides)- 8'0" x 11'6"
- Four persons (seats on 4 sides)- 9'0" x 11'6"
- Six persons (seats on 2 sides) - 10'0" x 13'6" or 12'0" x 10'0"
- Six persons (seats on 4 sides) - 10'0" x 13'0" or 12'0" x 11'0"
- Eight persons (seats on mainly 2 sides)-10'6" x 15'0" or 12'6" x 13'
- Eight persons (seating on all 4 sides) - 11'0" x 13'0" or 13'0" x 11'0"
- Ten persons - 11'0" width x 15'0" length or 13'0" width x 13'0" length
- If the dining room width has to be less, then the dining table and crockery unit cannot be placed side by side along the width of the room. Then the crockery cabinet is placed at the end along the length of the room, thereby increasing the length of the room.
- If the Dining room width can be more, then the dining table and buffet can be arranged along the width of the room, which allows the length of the dining room to be lesser as seen below.
- Basic, Minimum for 4 persons - 8' x 11'6" and above.
- Basic, Minimum for 6 persons - 10' x 13' or 12' x 10' and above.
- Basic, Minimum for 8 persons - 10'6" x 15' or 13' x 11' and above.
- Basic, Minimum for 10 persons - 11' x 15' or 13' x 13' and above.
DINING ROOM SIZES: In my experience as an Architect for the past 15 years, I have found that to arrange furniture and move around comfortably in a Dining room, it has to have some minimum basic sizes. Keeping in mind, the number of people seated at a dining table, I have recommended here the sizes for a comfortable Dining room.
DINING ROOM DIMENSIONS:So to summarize, the basic, minimum dimensions for a Dining room depends on the number of persons to be seated and the manner in which the dining table and buffet/sideboard/ crockery cabinet are arranged.
The Dining room is the space where the family sits together to have a meal and where guests are entertained. The Location of a Dining room depends on factors like the proximity to the Living room, the Kitchen, wash basin etc. For Vastu tips on the best location for a Dining Room go to: